The Production-Ready and Cross-Compatible Micro System-on-Module (SOM) Offers an Accelerated Path to Designing Next Generation Embedded Computing Solutions
FREMONT, CA–(Marketwired – April 26, 2016) –
- Joins a growing family of Inforce Micro SOMs that are cross-compatible and offers a frictionless path to upgrade legacy embedded systems with cutting-edge compute and multimedia technologies
- Purpose built in a tiny form-factor to empower next-generation compute-intensive applications that require high-performance quad-core CPU, GPU, DSP, ISP, 4K UHD HEVC video encode and decode, HDMI 2.0 support, and advanced connectivity solutions
- Takes advantage of the long lifecycle and powerful quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processors built on ultra-low-power 14nm FinFET process technologies
Inforce Computing®, Inc., a leading provider of modular embedded computing platforms and solutions, today announced availability of the latest Inforce 6601™ Micro SOM, featuring the 64-bit Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 820 processor for advanced embedded applications. The Snapdragon 820 processor is a product of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated. Targeting designs that require 4K Ultra HD HEVC (H.265) video and graphics processing, ultra-low power consumption, and 64-bit ARM®v8 quad-core CPU performance, the Inforce 6601 Micro SOM is tailored to bring forth exciting and new mobile processing technologies to next-generation embedded applications.
The plug-and-play Inforce 6601 Micro SOM enables access to a wide range of the Snapdragon 820 processor’s rich features and a full set of I/O interfaces:
- Powerful heterogeneous compute: Quad-core 64-bit Qualcomm® Kryo™ CPU (2 @2.15GHz, 2 @1.6GHz), ARMv8 ISA compatible, integrated Qualcomm® Adreno™ 530 GPU, Qualcomm® Hexagon™ 680 DSP, and dual Qualcomm Spectra™ 14-bit ISPs supporting up to 25MP sensors with zero shutter lag.
- Application-ready: Access an array of interfaces including dual 4-lane MIPI-DSI and HDMI 2.0 display interfaces, trio of 4-lane MIPI-CSI for up to 3 cameras, USB 3.0 (Host/OTG), 8x GPIOs, SLIMbus, 1x PCIe, 1x SDC, 12x BLSPs for UART, I2C, and SPI. Includes 4GB LPDDR4 RAM and 64GB UFS flash memory (3GB RAM and/or 32/128 GB flash options also available).
- Excellent connectivity and video features: FCC pre-certified WiFi (802.11n/ac with MU-MIMO) and BT 4.1 LE module, GPS, GbE, hardware assisted H.265 (HEVC) 4K60 video capture and playback.
- Full software support: Support for Android Marshmallow (6.X) and Linux OS support based on upstream/LTS kernel (planned Linaro 15.X), BSPs, and device drivers for a comprehensive set of peripherals.
- Plug-and-play: Reuse existing Micro SOM compatible carrier boards and swap legacy designs with the Inforce 6601 Micro SOM-just update software applications.
- Scale to production volume seamlessly: The Inforce 6601 Micro SOM maintains pin, electrical, connector, and form-factor compatibility with all Inforce Micro SOMs, offering easy migration from legacy Inforce 6401™ and Inforce 6501™Micro SOM based embedded systems.
- Fast track designs with SDKs from Qualcomm Technologies and other third-parties: FastCV™ computer vision SDK, the Qualcomm® Symphony System Manager SDK, Snapdragon VR SDK, Adreno GPU profiler and SDK, Hexagon SDK, Snapdragon for facial recognition, the PTC® Vuforia™ mobile vision platform, and more.
“With the availability of the Inforce 6601 Micro SOM, Inforce has now brought to commercialization four generations of production-ready embedded compute platforms based on Qualcomm Snapdragon processors,” said Tia Cassett, senior director, product management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “This is the result of our successful and continuing collaboration to provide IoT developers with the products and support they need for their embedded designs”
“We are delighted to announce the much anticipated release of the Inforce 6601 Micro SOM, which has been purpose built to meet the stringent needs of advanced embedded systems,” said Jagat Acharya, CEO of Inforce Computing, Inc. “Our early-adopters are building next-generation embedded systems for immersive virtual reality, computer vision, advanced 4K HEVC video processing, and connected medical imaging applications. The Inforce 6601 Micro SOM satiates their need for extreme processing at very low power consumption. The Inforce 6601 Micro SOM comes with comprehensive software, direct technical support, and design assistance services, giving embedded systems engineers all the tools necessary to prototype, and get their Snapdragon 820 processor powered designs to volume production faster.”
New design starts can take advantage of a full-fledged Inforce 6601™ Development Kit, which is priced at US$475 and includes the following:
- The Inforce 6601 Micro SOM (includes 4GB LPDDR4 RAM and 64GB UFS flash memory)
- A comprehensive interchangeable carrier board with a plethora of I/Os for rapid prototyping
- A starter kit with a 12V power supply, micro-USB cable, and an acrylic base
Pricing for build-your-own configurations of the Inforce 6601 Micro SOM starts at $175 for a 100 unit minimum-order-quantity (MoQ). Contact Inforce with your feature requirements for custom quotes, volume pricing, and lead times for shipment. The Inforce 6601 Micro SOM will ship during Q2, 2016.
About Inforce Computing
Inforce Computing is at the bleeding edge of modern embedded computing design and is a leading supplier of application-ready embedded hardware platforms based on Android and Linux OS for low-power, small footprint, and high-performance solutions based on the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ family of processors and chipsets. Inforce’s system-on-module (SoM), single-board-computer (SBC), development kits, and wireless technologies have enabled OEM solutions in diverse markets such as portable medical imaging, collaboration and videoconferencing, AR/VR based hands-free computing, computer vision, robotics, and drones. Inforce leverages mobile and embedded Internet technologies to provide hardware and software support for the long term. Inforce also provides broad hardware and software design services to accelerate customer designs to market. More information can be found atwww.inforcecomputing.com.
Qualcomm, Snapdragon, Adreno, and Hexagon are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated, registered in the United States and other countries. Kryo, Qualcomm Spectra, and FastCV are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated. Qualcomm Snapdragon, Qualcomm Kryo, Qualcomm Adreno, Qualcomm Hexagon, Qualcomm Spectra, FastCV and Qualcomm Symphony System Manager are products of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. PTC and Vuforia are trademarks or registered trademarks of PTC Inc. in the United States and other countries. Vuforia is a product of PTC, Inc. Other product and brand names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.