FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
New Inforce 6401 Micro SOM Delivers High Performance in a Tiny Form Factor
Inforce Computing Adds the Cross-compatible System-on-Module (SOM) to a Growing Line of Qualcomm Snapdragon Processor-Based Micro SOMs
Fremont, Calif., October 22, 2015 /MarketWired/
- Based on the long life cycle and powerful quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor (APQ 8064T SoC)
- The Inforce 6401 Micro SOM joins a product-line of electrical, pin, and form-factor compatible SOMs with a common carrier board, allowing easy migration to the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon processors
- The ultra-compact Inforce 6401 Micro SOM is well suited for advanced Internet-of-Everything (IoE) systems at the edge of the network that require quad-core compute performance
- Inforce provides value added design assistance services for custom carrier board design to accelerate embedded system time-to-market
Inforce Computing®, Inc., a leading provider of modular embedded computing platforms, today introduced the new product-ready Inforce 6401™ Micro SOM featuring the ARM®v7 ISA compatible Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 600 processor (APQ 8064T SoC). The Snapdragon 600 processor is a product of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated. Targeting embedded system applications that require HD video and graphics processing, ultra-low power consumption and high-performance, the Inforce 6401 is designed to make the well-proven and quad-core processing power of the Snapdragon 600 mobile platform easily accessible for a variety of space, weight and power (SWaP) constrained industrial IoE and consumer devices.
The plug-and-play Inforce 6401 Micro SOM brings forth the Snapdragon 600 processor’s rich features with support for a full set of peripheral devices to deliver a continued high standard of benefits for embedded systems developers:
- Quad-core 1.7GHz Qualcomm® Krait™ 300 CPU, Qualcomm® Adreno™ 320 GPU, and Qualcomm® Hexagon™ v4 DSP
- Fast, flexible prototyping: the Inforce 6401 Micro SOM exposes a comprehensive array of interfaces on the Snapdragon 600 processor including 2x MIPI CSI, Dual 4-lane MIPI DSI and touch screen, 2X USB 2.0, USB 2.0 OTG, PCIe, HDMI, I2C, SPI, UART, GPIO’s, SDC, and more.
- Excellent Android function and peripheral support with a KitKat 4.4.2 BSP and Linux based on Ubuntu 14.10 BSP that includes drivers for Wi-Fi, BT 4.0, GPS and video acceleration up to 1080p60 resolution, three cameras up to 20MP, and highly flexible power management.
- Strong support for custom carrier board design with a design assistance services package that includes reference schematics and access to a dedicated customer support engineer
- Take advantage of the SDKs of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and its subsidiaries, such as the FastCV™ computer vision SDK, the Qualcomm® Multicore Asynchronous Runtime Environment (MARE) SDK, the Qualcomm® Vuforia™ mobile vision platform, and Qualcomm Hexagon SDK, to fast-track your embedded designs
- Enable interoperable connectivity and communication across different transports, platforms and operating systems among devices with the use of AllJoyn®, a collaborative open-source software framework from the AllSeen Alliance. SDK available from allseenalliance.org
“Inforce has delivered a micro SOM that truly utilizes the Snapdragon 600 processor’s long product lifecycle and capabilities for mid-range high performance compute requirements in video and graphics processing, portable medical imaging, hands-free computing, and robotics,” said Tia Cassett, senior director of product management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “What makes the Inforce 6401 Micro SOM really attractive for embedded designers is that it accelerates their time-to-launch and provides an easy migration path to the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon processor-based SOMs.”
In addition to delivering the high performance capabilities of the Snapdragon 600 processor, the high compute-density Inforce 6401 Micro SOM includes 2GB PCDDR3, 4GB eMMC, FCC pre-certified dual-channel/dual-band Wi-Fi (802.11ac) and BT 4.0 module, support for 2 cameras up to 20MP, GPS, audio codec, onboard power management, and hardware assisted H.264 (AVC) HD video capture and playback. Optional SKU variants of the Micro SOM come with Android Lollipop 5.0.2 OS, full EMI shielding and thermal characterization/analysis for constrained designs. Inforce also provides a cost-effective hybrid manufacturing model to rapidly scale customer designs to volume production.
“Inforce pioneered the first commercial Micro SOMs based on the Qualcomm Snapdragon processors. Our customers are engineering some of the most challenging embedded designs for the IoE. The Inforce 6401 Micro SOM fits their stringent requirements in a configuration that eases the burden of designing the most difficult part of an IoE embedded system,” said Jagat Acharya, CEO of Inforce Computing, Inc. “The Inforce 6401 Micro SOM gives system designers the maximum amount of flexibility and control over their projects by providing the core Snapdragon 600 processor functionality while exposing a maximum level of system I/O for customer designed carrier cards. Inforce 6401 Micro SOM also provides embedded designers the right path to seamless future upgrades, ensuring their products don’t get obsoleted and are competitive in the marketplace.”
The Inforce 6401 Micro SOM single units are priced at US$166 stand-alone. Embedded systems designers have the option of purchasing a complete development kit at a price of US$371, which includes the following:
- The Inforce 6401 Micro SOM
- A full-fledged carrier board, which comprehensively expands the I/O and connectivity
- A starter kit with power supply, micro-USB cable, and an acrylic base
The Inforce 6401 Micro SOM is available now and can be ordered online here. For more information on lead times and volume pricing, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Inforce Computing
Inforce Computing is at the bleeding edge of modern embedded computing design. At Inforce, we are inspired by the inflection point in mobile and wireless technologies that are spawning innovative applications and services. Inforce is a leading developer of high-performance Android and Ubuntu Linux OS based product-ready hardware compute platforms for real life applications. Enhanced by working with Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, Inforce designs and manufactures powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon processor-based system-on-modules (SOM) and single-board-computers (SBC) in ultra-low power and tiny form factors. Inforce Computing supplies high performance processing, networking, and embedded hardware platforms based on widely-used open standards for a variety of applications. More information can be found at www.inforcecomputing.com.
Qualcomm, Snapdragon, Adreno, Hexagon and Vuforia are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated, registered in the United States and other countries. Krait and FastCV are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated. Qualcomm Krait, Qualcomm Adreno, Qualcomm Hexagon and Qualcomm Multicore Asynchronous Runtime Environment are products of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. Qualcomm Vuforia is a product of Qualcomm Connected Experiences, Inc. AllJoyn is a registered trademark of AllSeen Alliance, Inc. Other product and brand names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Inforce Computing, Inc.
+1 (510) 683-9999